Sunday, May 20, 2012

An Open Letter to Congress

It's not that I am not grateful, but when will it be our turn?  We have waited over a century for the assimilation process to come full circle, to be called a State of this Great Nation and patiently we continue to wait.

Why are we treated like a Red Headed Step Child?  A Red Headed Step Child is that one curious child that doesn't particularly look like his father.  You know, the one whose paternity is questioned but never in public?  Boricuas, Tainos, Latinos; us the other Americans, Puerto Ricans.

It's not that I am not grateful.  Because of the U.S., I speak the language that I speak, got the education that I got and am able to communicate with you, right here and right now.  But did it have to come at the expense of an invasion?   What was that all about?  Your history books say it was in response to the Spanish threat in the Caribbean.  I found other books that said it was a strategic military decision in preparation of the Panama Canal project.  Was it really a matter of national security?  So many unanswered questions.

I am American.  Let me make this clear, let me say this again, I am American.  I did not submit an Entry Petition Application with INS.  My finger prints did not accompany this non-submitted Application nor was a Police Search made of any Criminal activity I may have been a party of due to the same phantom application.  I did not stand in front of a judge, pledged allegiance to the United States of America and swore for all eternity to forsake my previous nationality.  I was born an American.  There is no Puerto Rican citizenship.  There is no such thing.  All Puerto Ricans are born Americans.

Yet, someone, in some southern state, wondered why I didn't have a green card.  Americans don't need green cards.

It's not that I am not grateful, it's just that the process that was commenced 114 years ago is not complete.  I really don't want to be evil in my thinking, but why make us Americans so that we can be drafted into American wars and not make our homeland a State?  America, you have proclaimed to the whole world that we are as one,  yet have refused to close the deal.   Make this Red Headed Step Child legitimate.  Stop procuring stalling tactics in the form of multiple Status Ballots for the approval of the Puerto Rican population on the island while at the same time demanding a majority of 75% or higher outcome.  That is ludicrous and unattainable.

U.S. Congress we are not ignorant.  Puerto Ricans are aware of your stalling tactics, we know what you are doing, the time has come to do what is right and just.  Stop passing the buck.   With the passing of a Majority Congressional Vote, Puerto Rico will become the 51st State.  Punto y Aparte.  (translated, Finished and Put Aside; meaning. let's put an end to this already)


No comments:

Post a Comment