Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Blessed Mother's Day Post

This Mother's Day is a little different than most Mother's Days of the past in that this holiday is no longer marked by little ones making breakfast for me, or jumping in my bed startling me with homemade presents and giggling with expectant delights that were awaiting us throughout the day.  My little ones are now grown men and a woman who fill me with joy and happiness at the thought of the privilege to have spent my youth with them.   For in a way, I literally grew up with my children and am content to be a young hip grandma because of it.

I look forward to seeing what my children will accomplish and are yet to become.  I am at a place in my life where I feel fearless and ready to face whatever life has in store for me and mine.  I am not trying to tempt faith or anything like that, it is just, I remember being so afraid when I was a young mother.  I was afraid for my children health.  I was afraid for their welfare.  I was afraid for their future.  But in all this fear, I was not afraid in one aspect, I was sure in my faith in God and that I had dedicated my children to Him and for Him.  Meaning, I saw my children as a temporary gift God had bestowed upon me, so that I might instill in them the will to become anyone they wished to become.  I saw them as people that I was raising not for myself but for society.  And that, unlike some mothers, my own to be more specific, I would not hinder their paths by being so selfish as to try and keep them for myself; and in doing so, limit their potential.

One of my favorite sayings to my children was that "I was raising self sufficient children" (along with "God punishes disobedient children" which by the way worked wonders!!!).   I taught each one to cook, clean, iron, type, budget their money and drive a car.  All the skills that I possessed, I in turn, made it a point of passing it along to them.  I smile when from time to time, one of them mention that they do something a certain way because it was something I taught them to do. I had to be strict and unconventional in a lot of ways and must admit they didn't always love me because of it.  But I accepted very early on that as long as they respected me and followed my advice, I could wait for their love later in life.  I have not been disappointed and feel very blessed.

To all the young mothers struggling with their own small children, please know this,  our children are worth every sacrifice, delayed dream, strength and effort. Don't despair.  Don't give up.  Seek those that have been there and can relate and can advise.  Doesn't matter if you have a wonderful husband, companion or baby daddy at your side.  If you do, more power to you.  If you don't, you can still do it. Plenty of us have.  Find the strength, that wonderful unique strength that God has given women, and carry on with your battle.  Once your children have become adults, then you can breathe and smile and enjoy the many little blessings that come your way.

Dedicated to all the wonderful strong women in my family and in my life.


Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment