Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Language of the Fan

As a female I love fans, don't you?  I love going into a place, no matter where, inside or outside and while I am waiting, I fan myself.  Whether it's a cold 60 degrees or a smoldering 105 degrees Fahrenheit; I fan myself. With a pretty pink fan my sister Marilyn gave me for Christmas, I fan myself.

Sometimes it's not about the need to cool down.  Most times it's the feel of the wind on my face that I crave.  I even sleep with a fan directed to my face, whether the A/C is on or not.  Yes, I am the first one to admit, I am special. :)

Most people look at me and I can just imagine what they think;  "Oh, she must be Menopausal."  Well, I am not.  Carrying and using a fan is one of those time honored traditions that has been replaced by the fast technology of the "I don't have enough time to wait" and the "If it is not powered by electricity, then it is not for me."

Most people don't realize that 19th century ladies created a whole language involving the use of their fans in an attempt to secretly communicate with young men while at social events.   Restrictive social norms and stern chaperons created the need for such behavior.  I myself, would have revolted at such draconian treatment of my civil liberties, but then again, maybe not.

Many years ago I remember reading about the definitions of some of these hand/fan gestures and thought it appropriate to include some of the more whimsical ones I found.   I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, as I list them below:

  • Fan slowly across chest: "I am free and available, I don't have a boyfriend."
  • Fan in fast, short movements over her chest:  "I have a partner or boyfriend, so keep going."
  • Opened or closed fan and touched her cheek:  "I like you!"
  • Fan on her temple and looked up:  "I think of you day and night!"
  • Saw her boyfriend talking to another girl or suspected he was being unfaithful; she would touch fan to her nose, meaning:  "Something doesn't smell good here."
  • Walked side by side hitting the palm of her hand with fan:  "Be careful, honey, the chaperon is coming."
  • Opened and closed fan and then pointed with it towards the garden:  "Wait for me there, sweetheart.  Soon, I will be there with you."
And finally, if she covered her mouth with the fan and looked at him very suggestively, she was sending him a kiss, and obviously, the gentleman knew he was the chosen one!

This post was born from the experience of encountering a fellow fan enthusiast at the nail salon.  She proudly showed me her cute chinese, round black and white fan and protested at how her husband and most people, didn't comprehend her need for her fan.  I sympathized and quite possibly made a friend.  Let's see.  Janice, if you are out there, I am still waiting for that Facebook friend request.  :)

I borrowed the title and definitions from an internet web page by the same name:  The Language of the Fan, www.ladanza.com/language.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment