Sunday, January 30, 2011

How to Survive Men and Sports

BY:  GLADYS ECHEVARRIA RIVERA

Ladies, what do you do when the most important men in your life are MIA (Missing In Action), not due to any military operation gone wrong but by the commencement of Major League training schedules, NFL drafting speculations, NBA trade offs or even, God forbid, college bound fresh faced high schoolers who show some talent with a ball?   This has been the thorn on the side of many relationships since the beginning of dawn when a bored caveman started kicking a rock around while his mate was busy making a cauldron full of supper.

That's the time when us females need to make some decisions.  We either get with the program, learn the lingo, the stats and the game and sit and relish in the competition that is big time sports.  Or we gracefully, prepare the field for our loved ones, making sure they have all supplies necessary that will allow them to vegetate in front of a television for hours at a time and forgo life as we know it.

I have had the luxury of being able to go either way.  I was raised in a household of seven boys, so the idea of spending time watching, discussing or playing any sport is second nature to me.  So, I can either engage or disengage and find some other activity more fitting to the mood I happen to be in.   Which in my world makes me pretty flexible and an interesting creature, if you asked me.   If you asked my boyfriend Scott, he would probably just say, I'm complicated.  And that's ok too.

So, my advice to women who do not find sports appealing or even remotely interesting, embrace your choices.  But do know that you have choices.  Plan a girls' night out.  Start reading an interesting book.  Hell, call your mother, you know its been a long time.  There are plenty of ways to survive the abandonment that is the losing of our men to that evil institution called the sports media world!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it Gladys I myself am not a big fan but my boo boo is and he also plays semi pro football and I am there by his side for all his games ;)
    But I love what u wrote so true

    ReplyDelete